Pages

Thursday, January 9, 2014

W1 - Fourth Grade

Students in fourth grade have been Computer Programming since November of 2013. We have used apps such as Daisy the Dino, Cargobot, and Light Bot.

I introduced a more creative programming app called Hopscotch. This app allows the users to control objects or characters and command them to do something. The previous programming apps that I listed already had goals and objectives, but Hopscotch allows the programmer to put in commands to make your character do whatever you wanted!

In this lesson I showed students how to make a character move and rotate 30 degrees. I then had the students figure out how to make their character move in the shape as a square. After students were able to do that on their own, I showed students how to make their character draw lines, soon students were exploring their own shapes and drawings! It was great to see how excited they all were to just get in and program. It was extremely important for me to show them simple tasks, and allow them to explore and learn on their own!

No comments:

Post a Comment